His Eminence D. Cardinal Daugherty, D. D., Archbishop of Philadelphia announced the appointment of Rev. Francis J. Dutko, assistant rector of St. Michael’s church, Lansford, to the rectorship of the newly formed parish of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church in Coatesville.
The congregation has been formed by a division of the St. Stanislaus parish, which has considerable property at the corner of Church street and West Lincoln Highway and which is planning to build a new church. It has consisted of Polish and Slovak people, who have been worshipping together there.
The congregation is very large, comprising a large part of the foreign born people of the city. On account of this fact it was decided by the Cardinal that the Polish and Slovak people could each have a church of their own.
A new Roman Catholic church will be built in West Coatesville this Spring was declared today when estimates were received by the church officials from more than a dozen contractors and builders. According to figures made public concerning the new edifice, it will be erected at a cost exceeding $35,000. Improvements which will be made later will increase the cost of the building to more than $50,000.
That the new church will be one of rare beauty, was declared by Taylor F. Getz, of Philadelphia, architect in charge of the building operation.
At present this congregation consists of approximately 92 families living in West Coatesville. The building will be situated on the corner of Charles street and Hope avenue and will be surrounded by a stretch of lawn. This church now hold services regularly in the Smith Garage building. It was organized in May, 1924. Andrew Pavlis is pastor.